All ride details will be posted on Twitter @FRFuggitivi or see below. Always check the feed for details and updates.
We are a road cycling (‘roadie’) club, and FRF rides emphasize fun and camaraderie, as well as building group riding skills. We welcome new riders; if you’re not sure that we’re the club for you, come on out and see what we’re about (you will need to sign a waiver, a standard practice for club rides, and drop us a line to let us know you’re going to be joining us). A Cycling BC licence is required for club members. We have some etiquette guidelines that will be useful.
Our regular Sunday rides are typically 70-90 kms at 25 kph average speed. There is always a refreshment stop. They are ‘no drop’ rides with a variety of routes in all directions from New West. The tempo and distance might vary and typically depends on the numbers on the day, and there might be a breakaway group that does a longer loop.
Regular Sunday rides start from River Market in New West at 08:30 (sometimes earlier in the summer, such as 08:00 or 07:30). Saturday rides may sometimes take place as an alternative. See below for the Italian Rules for the weather.
What’s new for 2019?
We’ll be using Slack for the ride calendar this year and for organizing rdies. If you’re not familiar with that there will be more details coming soon.
The schedule for 2019 will include the following:
- Fortnightly no-drop Club Rides covering a variety of routes. These rides will be suitable for all club members and will build towards the the Fon-do-do-do in August (a new event that is replacing the annual Fondont).
- For weeks in between there will be ad hoc rides organized, some of which may be more challenging and also include gravel options.
- Local events that are popular with club members for which there is likely to be co-ordinated attendance.
- Tuesday night climbing rides starting in May and running for the summer that hit the local hills.
2019 Ride Calendar
Some dates to mark on your calendar, with more to be added…
Fondo or similar events likely to be attended by club members are shown in italics. Otherwise, regular rides are shown as normal.
Sunday, April 07: Pacific Populaire – traditional season opener; 100km ride followed by sponsor refreshments.
Sunday, April 14: the first of the official fortnightly Club Rides gets underway. Expect a relatively easy Pitt Meadows route to get things started.
Sunday, April 28: Club Ride, heading west either Steveston loop or Ladner and beyond. 70-80kms route dependent.
Sunday, May 12: Club Ride, mum’s day special – easterly route likely featuring Fort Langley.
Monday, May 20: Victoria Day pancake ride to Fort Langley, early start.
June, TBC: Tri-Cities Cycling Club – invitational ride running for its third year in Port Moody/Pitt Meadows. A well-organized club ride that some of us attended last year and prior.
Saturday, July 20: Triple Crown for Heart – we’ve typically had some club riders complete this event. Early bird registration is open until June 3.
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, August 3-5: New for this year, the Fon-do-do-do – a 3-day riding event not to be missed (with extra events prior). This event will take the place of the usual fondont.
Italian rules for the weather
1. If the sky is blue, the ride is on.
2. If the roads are wet, the ride is off (unless rule no.1 applies).
3. If it rains on the way out, we head for a cafe.
4. If it rains (or snows, which has happened) on the way back, we get on the team bus.
5. If there’s no team bus, we toughen up and ride like Belgians (Flandrien rules).